Changing perspectives. Changing lives.
For 40 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Florida has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Florida makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, throughout Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Brevard and Lake Counties, FL.
Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
Our Vision is that all children achieve success in life.
OUR PROGRAMS START SOMETHING.™
Here’s the proof. National research has shown that positive relationships between Littles and their Bigs have a direct and measurable impact on children’s lives. By participating in Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring programs, youth are:
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school.1
The outcomes achieved by youth in Central Florida are even more impressive. In the past year, nearly 700 at-risk youth participated in our programs and achieved the following outcomes:
- 83% maintained or improved attendance
- 88% maintained or improved school grades
- 98% reduced risky behaviors
- 89% have higher aspirations
- 100% refrained from dropping out of school
- 99% refrained from criminal activity
Read more about our history
Learn more about our programs
Learn more about our financial operations
Explore career opportunities with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Florida
1Tierney, J.P., Grossman, J.B., and Resch, N.L. (1995) Making a Difference: An Impact Study of Big Brothers Big Sisters. Philadelphia: Public/Private Ventures. 2Results from lowest 20% academically performing students – results are higher than overall statewide averages.